27 Aug 2015

Being on the road...

But if these years have taught me anything it is this: you can never run away. Not ever. The only way out is in  Junot Díaz

This is the one quote that I came across that I believe is the right dose of motivation to me as of now. I have never seen my life as anything but life itself; crazy statement right? You may be thinking what an obvious statement. So I want to ask you to think about your life right now and see if there is life in it? Besides work or studies, money or fashion; how much is there to your life? If you live with your family then that is one lucky part of your life but besides that, what is there? Do you spend time with yourself perhaps sitting in silence by the beach watching a sunset or treating yourself to a special meal on an achievement or writing your journal? I mean anything that isn’t ‘routine’; do you do it? I keep travelling alone and even living alone so I am quite used to having meals alone like I did in Dubai, visiting places alone like exploring Mauritius (although I found a batch of amazing brothers) or now even Dar es Salaam. I can say that Dubai was a killer for me. I went to Dubai mall and saw families and friends having the ‘time of their life’ together and here I was all alone and there were people like me as well, all alone; but guess what; nobody sees this part of my life. Many people tell me they would love to have my life and I am lucky; indeed I am blessed but being on the road or being a frequent traveler has its challenges and today I want to express this part of my life to you all…

I was hired to do photography for a conference organized by Oracle in Mauritius. At that time, it was a great opportunity for me not only because the amount of cash I was getting but also from a learning perspective, it was great. It was an HR conference and I learnt about what companies look for when they hire, what creates an HR’s certain perception towards an individual such as time management, dressing, tattoos, etc. in that session, I learnt way more than what my degree lectures were teaching me. During lunch time, I walked up to the speaker and mentioned how lucky he was to be living such a life where he travels the world, spends half of the time at airports and hotels; earns from something people pay for. I will never be able to forget his reply to me which today is a live realistic visual for me because I am living that life in a way all though I am not yet at that level of travelling. He said ‘I travel because of work. Whether I am at an airport or hotel, I am working. Look, right there is the beach and look at those half naked people who are enjoying the sun; and then see me; wearing a suit in this heat delivering a lecture, not so lucky am I?’ My work travel trip to Zanzibar is a clear mirror image of his statement.

The obvious thing we miss being on the road is family. A friend this morning asked ‘you miss the food your mother cooks?’ Such an obvious answer to that question, isn’t it? YES! I miss it. I am particularly my momma’s boy because I am the only child and for her to send me away; well it’s only a 2 hour flight but still very far, not easy at all. I miss both my dad and my mom. Parents are unmeasurable treasures and blessings from He who is above all else. I can’t express the depth of love I have for them. To be honest, their value was reflected by my trips. Khalil Gibran said ‘love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation’. It were these trips that made me realize how important they are to my existence. I am so bloody happy and excited to be going to them in about 8 days’ time!!!! Never thought going to Uganda again would be so exciting. That country has given me love and pain together and I wanted a change which Shukar I got by moving to Dar es Salaam. I can’t explain how great an opportunity this is for me and I am grateful. Coming back to the point, #home T-8 days!!

I want to conclude this article by saying I am living a dream life and people I meet around all say ‘how lucky you are’. I guess just one thing missing and I am asking Him to give that to me. When I get her, it will be a complete Hollywood or Bollywood story of this young guy who gets a dream job at an airlines at a very high position and finds this amazing girl who he wouldn’t get otherwise and they face the world together. I don’t want it to be as dramatic as the movies though.


“Whatever he had found, it made him a better person. Maybe that's what love was, finding the person who brings out the best in you and eliminates
the worst.” ― Diana Holquist

Peace!
Champ!

2 comments:

  1. This article was great! Well done! The last part was humorous! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous Reader,

      I am first of all thankful that you have read this. I am happy about that.

      Thank you so much for the compliment as well.

      The last part was truly written in that spirit of humor with a huge touch of honesty!!

      Appreciated!!!

      Delete